QQI Advanced Certificate in Business – NFQ Level 6
CELT (Certificate in English Language Teaching)
Ballsbridge College of Further Education is one of the leading providers of daytime and evening courses in English as a Foreign Language (EFL) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) in Dublin. The College offers QQI certification and prepares students for the Cambridge suite of examinations including the First Certificate (FE) and the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE). Training is also provided for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Accordingly the College is well-equipped with the resources and expertise to provide quality training in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL).
Teachers of EFL are in constant demand both in Ireland and throughout the world. The EFL sector is worth an estimated €900 million a year to the Irish economy, with more than 130,000 students coming to enrol in 2007 on courses ranging from short summer courses to year-long intensive courses. In addition, there are many opportunities for teaching adults and children from other countries who are now resident in Ireland.
This course is recognised by the Accreditation and Co-ordination of English Language Services (ACELS -QQI), the regulatory body for TEFL teaching in Ireland working under the aegis of the Department of Education & Skills. The course provides students with a professional set of management, business as well as TEFL skills.
The key elements of TEFL are:
- An introduction to English Language Teaching
- The four skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
- Teaching Practice
- Teaching, Monitoring and Evaluation
The EFL section of the course is 120 hours. Teaching practice is mandatory and organised by the College. The course also provides Business Management training to prepare participants for administration work in Language Schools.
- TEFL – ACELS CELT Certificate
- Business Management – Level 6
- Marketing Management – Level 6
- Sales Presentations – Level 6
- Computerised Accounts – Level 6
- Business Law
- Spreadsheets – Level 6
- Communications – Level 6
- Work Placement – Level 6
In respect of non- native speaker applicants, evidence will be required that they are of a C1 English Language Level (Council of Europe Language Level Criteria), or Advanced aspiring to Proficiency.
Awarding Body 1: QQI
Award Title 1: ACELS CELT (Certificate in English Language Teaching)
Award Title 2: Advanced Certificate in Business (6M4985), Level 6-further education and training
Examples of Progression to Higher Education
– Full-time Courses:
- For information on all relevant Higher Education Links visit www.qqi.ie (QQI), the Central Applications Office (CAO) and the websites of the relevant higher education institutions. Intending applicants are advised at all times to confirm linked awards, any additional module requirements, application processes and scoring systems with the Admissions Offices of the participating Higher Education Institutions or visit the CAO website.
– Part-time Courses:
- Graduates may progress to Year 2 of the Institute of Public Administration‘s (IPA) part-time, NUI-accredited, Diploma in Business Studies or Bachelor of Business Studies (Hons) and can also avail of additional subject exemptions. Visit the Institute of Public Administration website or contact the IPA directly for further details.
What our graduates say about the course
“As a TEFL student, my love for both English and different cultures has been effectively united. When I qualifiy as a TEFL teacher I will have an exciting and useful tool to add to my skill-set”
Denise Kennedy – TEFL graduate 2012
The ACELS CELT (Certificate in English Language Teaching) has recently been placed at level 7 Special Purpose Award on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ). Therefore, the delivery of this course in Ballsbridge College in September 2017 is subject to our proposed course being validated by QQI.
Disclaimer: The college reserves the right to make any alterations to any programme as might be required. Where there is insufficient enrolment a course may be cancelled.