QQI Certificate in General Studies (5M3114) – NFQ Level 5
English has become one of the main international languages of communication in recent years. Ireland is well-known as a centre for the provision of English language programmes and Ballsbridge College is one of the foremost centres of this provision for international students in Dublin.
Graduates of this course are ideally suited to employment in a variety of media-related industries in Ireland and abroad. Successful graduates will have a recognised certificate of competence in English as well as a portfolio of media-related work that will enhance any job application.
- English as a Foreign Language
- Media Analysis
- Research and study skills
- Print Journalism
- English Literature
- Word Processing
- Work Experience
- Desktop Publishing
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Preparation
University of Cambridge Awards*:
- First Certificate in English
- Certificate in Advanced English
- Certificate in Proficiency
Students are entered for the certificate most appropriate to their level of English
*There will be an additional charge to cover exam entry for students taking these exams.
- Applicants must have at least an upper intermediate level of English.
- Applicants will be required to take an assessment test in English prior to joining the course.
- The International Students Information Document available from the college gives further details.
- All applicants must fully comply with any necessary residence requirements pertaining at the time of application.
HIgher Education Links
A significant number of students use this course as a foundation English Language course before continuing to further courses at degree and post-degree level
Examples of Progression to Higher Education
– Full-time Courses:
- Graduates may use their qualifications to apply for a place in a variety of Higher Education Institutions. For information on all relevant Higher Education Links visit www.qqi.ie (QQI), Higher Education Links Scheme (HELS), the Central Applications Office (CAO) and the websites of the relevant higher education institutions.
- IADT Dun Laoghaire – BSc (Hons) Computer Multimedia Systems DL143 (requires LC Maths OD3)
- IADT Dun Laoghaire -BSc (Hons) English, Media and Cultural Studies DL821
- DCU – BSc (Hons) Multimedia DC133
- WIT – Ballsbridge College has a progression agreement with WIT linking this course’s QQI award (5M3114) to a range of WIT degrees. Please see https://www.wit.ie/images/uploads/About_PDF/BCFE_Webpage_201610.pdf
– Part-time Courses:
- Graduates may progress into Year 1 of the Institute of Public Administration‘s (IPA) part-time, NUI-accredited, Diploma in Business Studies or Bachelor of Business Studies (Hons) and can also avail of additional subject exemptions. Visit the Institute of Public Administration website or contact the IPA directly for further details.
What our graduates say about the course
“ I greatly appreciate Ballsbridge College because first of all it is a humane environment that welcomes a diverse range of students and offers then education with pleasure, thansks to its highly qualified and humble staff. The EFL and Media course is a fruitful experience for me. It combines accurate knowledge with practical know-how which enables you to improve your skills and make them relevant to the standards of the job market”
Sana Aboussad, EFL and Media graduate 2010
Disclaimer: The college reserves the right to make any alterations to any programme as might be required. Where there is insufficient enrolment a course may be cancelled.