QQI Certificate in Community Health Services (5M4468) – NFQ Level 5
The Health Sector Studies course has been designed to prepare participants for careers in in hospitals, nursing homes, health centres, clinics and with general practitioners and in the administration and other selected areas within the Health Services Executive (HSE).
In addition to school leavers, this course will be of interest to adult learners who wish to return to the work-force, and to people from other countries who aim to gain employment in healthcare in Ireland.
Students who specialise in this area will be in a strong position to meet the employment opportunities that exist in acute hospitals, community care health centres, general practices, hospitals for older people, and psychiatric hospitals.
At the end of this one-year course, graduates will be able to enter the Health Service sector with a set of professional, recognised skills with which they can commence their career. They also have the option of continuing their education at third level.
Health Sector Studies Course Content
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Nursing Theory and Practice
- Care of the Older Person
- Social Studies
- Human Growth & Development
- Word Processing
- Work Experience
Higher Education Links
For information on all relevant Higher Education Links visit www.qqi.ie (QQI), the Central Applications Office (CAO) and the websites of the relevant higher education institutions. Intending applicants are advised at all times to confirm linked awards, any additional module requirements, application processes and scoring systems with the Admissions Offices of the participating Higher Education Institutions or visit the CAO website.
Examples of Progression to Higher Education
– Full-time Courses:
- Graduates may use their qualifications to apply for a place in a variety of Higher Education Institutions.
- For information on all relevant higher education links visit www.qqi.ie, www.cao.ie and the websites of the relevant higher education institutions.
- Links to Nursing Degree programmes are also via the Higher Education Links Scheme. Please see http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/FETACNursingQuota.pdf
- UCD – BSocSc Social Policy & Sociology – DN750
- TU Dublin – BA Social Care – TU 996
- DCU – BSc Health and Society – DC209
- WIT – Ballsbridge College has a progression agreement with WIT linking this course’s QQI award (5M4468) to a range of WIT degrees. Please see https://www.wit.ie/future_students/fe_progression/further-education-progression-scheme
What our graduates say:
“I really enjoyed my time studying in Ballsbridge College. The Health Sector Studies course provided me with the necessary set of professional skills and knowledge to commence work as a carer in the social care sector. I secured a job through my work placement with the help of the College”.
Johanna Wojsa, Health Sector Studies graduate 2016
Disclaimer: The college reserves the right to make any alterations to any programme as might be required. Where there is insufficient enrolment a course may be cancelled.